- We collect anonymous statistics about your visit, like which of our pages you viewed.
- Some 3rd parties like Facebook and Twitter may know you visited this website, if you use their services (they do use persistent cookies).
- If you sign up/subscribe with ryanerickson.com, I take great care to keep your information safe and I’ll never share it with others without your express permission.
- We never share your data with 3rd parties except to help us deliver our own services.
These are just the key points. If you need detail, keep reading.
Measuring our visitors
We measure visitors to our website using Google Analytics. This records what pages you view within our site, how you arrived at our site and some basic information about your computer. All of that information is anonymous – so we don’t know who you are; just that somebody visited our site.
The information we collect from analytics helps us understand what parts of our sites are doing well, how people arrive at our site and so on. Like most websites, we use this information to make our website better.
Facebook, Twitter and other social networks
These services provide social buttons and similar features which we use on our website – such as the “Like” and “Tweet” buttons.
To do so we embed code that they provide (or is provided via the theme used on this site) and we do not control ourselves. Their code generally know if you’re logged in; for example Facebook use this to say “x of your friends like this.” We do not have any access to that information, nor can we control how those networks use it.
Social networks therefore could know that you’re viewing this website, if you use their services (that isn’t to say they do, but their policies may change). As thsi website is remarkably unoffensive we imagine this is not a concern for most users.
We may send you email notifications which you have specifically requested (such as newsletters or updates). You have the ability to opt out of this communication at any time. Email sent to me at [email protected] goes through Google servers; for sensitive matters please use my OpenPGP Key to encrypt the email.
We will never provide your personal information or email address to any third parties.
This site takes many precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. These precautions include:
- Use of SSL encryption for sensitive data (actually, all data).
- Hardware controlled by me, behind firewalls.
- All access to information restricted by password and/or secure key.
- Restrictions to what information can be accessed via any location.
Be it known that we take great care to ensure any confidential information remains protected I dare not "guarantee" the security of data sent over the Internet. That, my friends, is part of the risk in using the Internet.
Got a question? Contact me.